Legendary Sidecar Motorcycles
Inspired by the Ultimate Ride Challenge
Photos by Hubert Kriegen
Each winter, 500 miles southeast of Irbit, Russia, home of the Ural factory, the world's largest freshwater lake freezes creating over 400 miles of barren ice fields. Adventure seekers from across the globe navigate to discover one of the world's most demanding rides, including the legendary semi-annual Ice Run.
In 2010, our friends Hubert Kriegel and Chinzo crossed Lake Baikal on their Ural sidecar in the middle of a particularly brutal Russian winter. They lived on Baikal for 2 weeks to complete their adventure battling -40°F wind chill and shifting snow drifts.
"Living on the frozen Lake Baikal I found my ultimate ride challenge. I survived relying on my Ural sidecar with my co-pilot Chinzo."- Hubert
Meet Ural Baikal
Ural Baikal LE comes in new Baikal Blue metallic colorway with Yamal orange interior accents.
Standard equipped with our legendary on-demand 2 wheel drive and sidecar mounted spare wheel, this Ural is ready to take you far beyond the marked trails. Cut through the ice, literally, with the side mounted high carbon steel hatchet. Keep your vodka in the VSSL x Ural compact flask and light your campfire with Titan stormproof matches.
Baikal LE features full protection with ceramic undercoating on the sidecar tub and interior of all 3 fenders. Combined with the standard issue sidecar windshield your bike and co-pilots will be full protected from the harsh gusts of Siberian winter.
Bring a friend and bring good music along - your Baikal has all weather proof portable Ural x Braven speaker installed ready for the road ahead!
Total Built: 45 Units Worldwide
Available: October, 2017
- On-Demand 2WD
- Universal Spare Tire & Luggage Rack
- Baikal Blue Metallic Colorway
- Black Jerry Can
- Silver Engine
- Utility Shovel
- Sidecar Bumper
- Sidecar Windshield
- Tool Kit
- Toolbox Gas Tank
- Enduro Bench Seat
- Sidecar Accessories Panel (Phone / Tablet Charging)
- Blue Sidecar Cordura Tonneau Cover
- Rubber Floor + Trunk Mats
- Baikal LE Badge
- Baikal Sidecar Nose Graphic
- VSSL x Ural Flask w/ LED Flashlight
- 25 Stormproof Matches
- 1 Waterproof Braven x Ural Bluetooth Speaker
Lake Baikal is the world's largest and oldest freshwater lake. Located in the heart of Russia, Baikal contains 20% of the planet's fresh water, enough to provide the world population drinking water for 40 years. Baikal is 400 miles long and the deepest continental body of water in the world with a maximum depth of 5,315 feet.
The average winter temperature is -6°F (-21°C) creating over 12,000 square miles of solid ice, thick enough to support cars and of course, sidecar motorcycles.
Ural Baikal LE
The Ural Baikal Limited Edition was inspired by the world travelers who have crossed Lake Baikal's frozen 400 mile surface on 3 wheels. Located in the heart of Russia, these riders inspire the next generation to look beyond the map, and layer up.
$16,999* USD | $19,599* CAD
Only 45 Units Worldwide // Financing Available
*Excludes tax, license, registration, delivery, set-up,
and dealer-installed options. Dealer prices may vary.
Engine and Transmission
Displacement, cc: 749
Engine type: OHV air cooled 2 cylinder 4 stroke “boxer” (flat twin)
Valve per cylinder: 2
Bore and stroke (mm x mm): 78 x 78
Max output (hp): 41 @ 5500 rpm
Max torque (ft-lbs): 42 @ 4300 rpm
Fuel system: Throttle body EFI
Starting: Electric & Kickstart
Clutch Double-disc dry
Transmission type: Manual
Speeds: 4 forward 1 reverse
Primary drive (rear wheel): Driveshaft
Final drive ratio: 4.62
Engageable sidecar wheel drive: Yes, driveshaft
Overall length, inch.: 98.8
Overall heights, inch.: 54.3
Overall width, inch.: 63.6
Seat height, (unladen), inch.: 32.0
Ground clearance (unladen),inch.: 6.8
Dry weight, lbs: 730
Alternator: Denso, Peak Output 40 Amp @ 14vdc, 560 Wt
Battery: FAYTX20HL (12V, 20A)
Spark plugs: NGK BPR6HS
- Front suspension: IMZ leading link fork
- Rear suspension: Double sided swing-arm with two Sachs hydraulic spring shock absorbers, 5x adjustable
- Sidecar suspension: Single sided swing-arm with Sachs hydraulic spring shock absorber, 5x adjustable
- Wheels: 2.15X19 Aluminum rims with steel spokes
- Tires: Duro HF-308, 4.0×19″
- Front brake: 4-piston fixed Brembo caliper with 295mm floating NG rotor
- Rear brake: HB big bore single piston integrated floating caliper with 256mm fixed NG rotor
- Sidecar brake: 2-piston fixed Brembo caliper with 245mm floating NG rotor
- Fuel grade: 91 Octane, unleaded
- Fuel tank capacity, gallons: 5.0
- Reserve, gallons: app. 1
- Estimated fuel economy, mpg: 31-37
- Estimated range, miles: 155-185
- Recommended max cruising speed, mph: 70
- Max permissible weight, lbs:1325
- Trunk volume, cubic ft.: 2.9
- 2-years parts and labor unlimited mileage.